Tuesday 13 March 2007

Day 61 -40

A pretty good day. Worked hard and was able to concentrate well for a change - so often I'm constantly interrupted and never seem to be able to settle on one task. Today, whether by luck or judgement, I managed to multitask my way through loads on my never ending list.

I despair of my colleague/bosses though. As I'm the only solicitor in my department they seem to think that I'm omniscient - they ask me about anything and everything and look like lost children when I tell them that I have not the foggiest idea what to do about a topic that has nothing whatsoever to do with my legal specialiasm. I think I'm creating a rod for my own back though - they seem to be losing any individual initiative and my boss especially wants me to hold his hand (not literally, you with the dirty minds!) through every tiny transaction. God knows what they did before they had a solicitor in the department?! Presumably they just winged it and probably got away with it 99% of the time!

Well, enough of that. I worked through lunch so couldn't go swimming for the second day running. I was going to go for a run at home instead but then had to stay late so couldn't fit one in before heading out to the football. At least I didn't have to meet up with Jim and watch him scoffing pizza again tonight - he had to work even later so arrived 10 minutes into the game! Still, I suppose I did do a fair bit of walking to and from the game and there's all the steps up to the top of the Kop- so not all bad. I know you're not a football oriented lot but, for form's sake and because I love Wednesday, we beat Colchester 2 nil. An underwhelming game but with nothing to play for now what do I expect?

I went to Meadowhall on my way home to take back some unworn wedding stuff I bought a couple of weeks ago. While there I popped into Next by way of an experiment to see whether I could fit into their size 18s. I tried on a pair of jeans and a fitted top and ......drum roll.........they fitted!! Jeans were tight and too low cut so wouldn't buy them, but.....another drum roll......they fitted!!

So, bye bye Evans - you've served me well but I'm afraid here we part company. Now I can hang out with the cool kids in Next, Principles, M&S etc I don't need mumsy old Evans. (I actually feel guilty saying that as Evans is pretty good and v cheap considering the range it covers - sorry Evans...) I'm sure there are loads more trendy shops to try but it's been so long since I shopped outside of the fat shops that I've no idea what's good anymore.

When I was last size 16/18, back when I got married in 1994(!), shops like Next and Principles didn't sell clothes in that size. It's only been in the last few years that everyone's widened their ranges. Anyway, I'm not going to buy anything much for the time being - will check out Primark, Matalan, Asda and New Look as don't want to spend much on temporary clothes but I'm very excited.

I told D on the phone this evening and he was pleased for me but I could tll that he didn't really understand the significance of it. That's why it's nice to have a blog to chat to - I know you lot understand.

Anyway, it's bed time now. Another day gone and I'm another day closer to being slim. Yay!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I can understand exactly what you mean! For years, the only place I have bought clothes is Evans, or more recently New Look in their Inspire range. One of the things I am really looking forward to is being able to shop where I WANT to, not where I have to, so well done you.

Wendy x

Oiseau said...

Way to go Lesley, it must be such a fab feeling! Good for you :-)

If it's any consolation I think most men just don't get the significance of dress sizes to us girls, it's not just D!

Kirsty X

Claire Elliott said...

Wow, I'm so jealous! I was in Wallis the other day in the metro centre and they had fantastic things in and although they go up to a 20, nothing fit :( Part of my motivation is dreaming of some of the lovely clothes, cool shoes and bags they had. How fantastic it would be to be a size 18 next jeans again, I could only imagine!! Well done

Claire :)

Melanie said...

I can't wait till I'm in an 18. I've gone from 26 to 24, and know that when I get down to an 18, whatever store changing room I may be in at the time will think there's a mad woman in there screaming and shouting!

So well done you!

. said...

How brilliant to say goodbye to Evans - that's fantastic Lesley well done :D As much as I couldn't have lived without the shop for the last few (many) years I also can't wait to wave goodbye.

I agree with Kirsty, I really don't think men understand how we feel about sizes and labels ... it's just not in their biology.

Cath
x