Thursday 6 November 2008

Resolve....taking the plunge





Peering over the edge...



















back safe on the bridge, look at those eyes shining!




While we were in South Africa I did the highest commercial bungee jump in the world. It was off Bloukhrans Bridge on the Garden Route and is 216 metres high! I have wanted to do a bungee jump (a proper one off a bridge, not a crane) for years so could not pass up on the opportunity.




It was amazing. Simply fantastic. I was so determined to do it that I was not really scared: nervous, full of adrenaline and excited, but not scared. The only time I might have been scared was when I was hanging upside down 100 metres below the brdge and 100 metres above the ground, by myself waiting to be pulled up. But, I recognised the onset of fear and talked my way out of it, laughed out loud (it cheers you up - try it) and tried to enjoy the view!



Once back up to the top, the excitement and adrenaline raced through me and there was such a high at having done it and achieved a goal.


I can't help thinking that I need to look at the photos frequently to remind myself of all those feelings and the resources I have within myself. To remind me that I don't need to hide in food and that I can achieve a natural high, fantastic excitement and great pleasure.....without food! You don't see many fat adrenaline junkies do you. I need to access that side of myself more often; the person who loves the outdoors and dancing and partying and physical activity and gets a genuine high from them.



Rather than the person who likes sitting inside watching telly or reading and thinking about what she can eat. While there is much to be said for relaxing in front of the fire with the dogs, it should not be the main part of my leisure time.



Keep active!!!



And do some exciting stuff once in a while......

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Lesley,

I'm so glad you are back! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Looks like you had a great vacation! So brave, I could never jump off a bridge or out of an airplane...that would just freak me out, I'm a big chicken.

I can relate to the weight gain, every time I think I'm on track to do good I end up gaining a few more pounds in the end. I'm really trying to rethink things. It is so frustrating!

Obama is exciting...I don't agree with all of his policies but he seems like he has a lot of good ideas. The fact that he represents so much change and is able to stir up so much excitement I hope will be a good thing for America and the world.

Unknown said...

Wow Wow Wow how brave and confident were you???? Well done sounds like you had a fabulous time. I think everyone I know from last year have all put on around 3 stone myself personally 2 but all the same a put on it is. It is soooo hard and although I tried Cambridge then the new one
W8 I cannot get back on track making up excuses everyday. Come on Lesley Gee me up it was you that got me going on my Lighter Life journey - lets start afresh and get this extra off xxxx