Saturday 21 July 2007

New Start 20 (ii) - Grasping opportunities!!








Hi all. I was leafing through a file of photos I took last weekend when my Malaysian guests (sister in law, niece, nephew, SIL's sister and her daughter) were staying. I had sent them off to my brother out in Papua New Guinea on a land rig (yes, he's also in the oil business like D - in fact that's why D is in that business). I was laughing at us going out for a walk on the moors in the siling rain and saying that Lisa (the smiling, wet, cold Malaysian girl in the last piccie) must have thought I was mad. Anyway, he replied that he'd heard through Hadi that she had loved the walk - said it felt like proper England and made her really understand what the countryside of Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice was like. (It helps that they filmed both of the latest versions of those film and TV series not far from where we were walking!!)




So, I got thinking about taking opportunities - how sometimes you don't want to do something because it's cold or not perfect or you're not sure how it'll turn out. And how, if you make yourself do whatever it is, often that is the best thing to have done. Gosh - I'm so articulate tonight...words are dribbbling off my keyboard in a terrible fashion here - could I BE anymore awkward to read??




So often, leaping in is the best thing to do. I leapt into LL - saw Kate at a party and, once I'd managed to reconnect my jaw to my face, asked her what she'd done; the following day looked it up on the internet; on the Monday I rang my LLC and attended an intro session that very night; and signed up for the January class there and then. It was the best thing I've ever done.




I have spent hours talking to people about the journey and explaining the diet to them (at their request) - women and men who would really benefit from it and all the time, I've known that none of them are going to go for it. I think you recognise the required level of desperation/determination pretty quickly and none of them so far has shown it. I so wish you could make them do it but you can't, so I just rattle on and then say.... " no pressure - it's not for everyone. Good luck with starting SW/WW/Atkins for the hundredth time" ...!




Now that I've taken this opportunity - I'm ready for more. France, the holiday cottage, a creative writing course (couldn't find a belly dancing class in the evenings!), maybe a small enterpreneuring importing business on the side (of which more later if it comes off).




So - leaping then looking seems to be the way to go for the time being (well, looking a little....I'm not totally daft).




Maybe that's why I'm doing so much analysis on the blog - 'cos I'm so busy living outside of it that I have to have an outlet for the "processing".




Anyway - that was my message/thought. We all made a leap of faith into the unknown to start LL or CD or whatever and, in the main, it has worked for us - maybe we should start leaping a bit more and grasping opportunities and just doing different things because who knows what'll happen when we do??


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lesley not sure if it is just me but can only see one piccie the top one......... still luving your journey luv xxx

Unknown said...

Wow they are good! I can see them all now x

Sandra said...

Lovely pics as usual.

I know what you mean about other people. I find myself wishing I could approach the various fat and unhappy-looking people I see on the train but then I remember how I would have felt if someone did that to me...
You have to come to the decision to follow this diet yourself. No one can do it for you.

Amanda said...

More fab pics.

I've just put in my comment on your previous post about wanted my other half to start dieting, but I know he has to come to his own decision to start dieting.

Just read your comments on my blog. We had a nightmare journey bag to A's, but seeing the news on TV it wasn't as bad as other peoples. And yes, surprisingly enough the open air concert still went ahead on Saturday. I'll be updating my blog tomorrw, with pics.

Amanda x

Mrs said...

Just saying HELLO.

LOVE the photos!

Thanks for helpful tips for home alone wife! Of course, you were spot on - no time to feel lonely!! Ha ha!

What's happening with the cottage (holiday)?

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxx