Wednesday 13 February 2008

This evening...

Shelley rang and suggested a run. She wanted us to do a longer one than our normal route which suited me so I picked a 3.5 miler. It's got one big hill in it but otherwise not too bad. It was great to be out. We ran within ourselves to be honest which was obvious as we chatted our way round (once we had done the hill!) but next time we'll be able to push a little harder. We're getting the bug back and planning a quick run for Friday night followed by a long 'un on Sunday. Yay - we've got our mojo's (whatever they are!) back!

Thick chick asked about my personal training with the luscious Huw and what strength training we do. It's heavily Pilates based. I generally start with 10 mins on the cross trainer and finish with at least 5 but sometimes (depending on what running I've been doing outside the class) he'll surprise me with a 20 minute interval session on the treadmill or cross trainer. Generally though I alternate between a class of heavy slow weights and exercises (lunges, squats, rows, presses - all the usual) and a more dynamic class with quicker reps, more balance exercises and lighter weights.

Nearly all the weights are self-supporting (standing, balancing on a dome etc) so you're exercising your core as well as whatever bit of the body he's currently torturing. At my request he rings the changes so I never get into a routine but I do repeat most of the exercises over a 2 or 3 week period. I know he increases reps and weights as sometimes an exercise which I have been finding easy-ish suddenly half kills me! He's sneaky like that.

I go twice a week and I can honestly say this is the most consistent I have ever been with any form of exercise. It's been well over 8 months and apart from the odd unavoidable cancellation for holidays or illness, I've not missed a single session.

I like it because, although it's only an hour, there's no waiting for machines, no finding your weights or adjusting bars/bands/balls etc. he does all that while I'm doing one exercise. There's no let up and nowhere I can hide. He spots every little adjustment of posture and doesn't let me away with anything. He marks down everything so I don't have to worry about it. He knows far more exercises and variations than I do so I don't get bored. And he's a nice guy who is very easy on the eye! A bit "earnest" for me though - I prefer a bit of rough to be honest! Hope D isn't reading this!!

Anyway - that's quite a paeon of praise to the lovely Huw. I would highly recommend him in particular and personal training in general (although you do haveto find the right trainer).

If it's not an option, why not try a training buddy who sets one workout and you set the next - that way you don't get bored and you push each other a bit?? I did that for a while before sorting myself out with Huw.

Anyway - it's not been a bad day foodwise. I'm just treading water 'til I restart CD on Friday (or Sunday probably as I'm going to a DP on Sat which has been in the diary ages and it would be a bit rude to turn up and not eat!). Still - not going mad and feeling much more in control.

I'd better go downstairs now and check on my roasted veggies and cous cous with salad which is my supper - sounds healthy - hope it's tasty too!

Night night....

1 comment:

Crissy Rae said...

sounds like you and your trainer are a match made in heaven. glad to hear it's working out. i agree w/you...personal trainer or workout buddy definitely help keep you in check and motivated.