Friday 26 January 2007

Day 14 - Weigh in time!

Went to Penistone last night for the big weigh in. I thought I was going lose about 4lbs but I was very pleasantly surprised to have lost 6lbs! So that's a stone and a half in 2 weeks! I'm stunned and can really feel the difference. I'm already in some clothes that I couldn't fit into a fortnight ago. It feels great and all my frustration from earlier this week has washed away.

I think the exercise is going to be vital in keeping the pressure on and also in making it easier for me once I come off the diet. I'm feeling some steely resolve at the moment and nothing else seems to matter. having said that, I've just been to the nurse and had my blood presure taken and it's high. not as high as the personal trainer found but still high (160/98). We don't think it's anything to worry abou, given that I've never had a high reading before but will be keeping an eye on it. We've decided I should give training a miss until I have seen the doctor and discussed it with him. That will be in a fortnight. Grr. In the meantime, I'm going to keep up with the swimming and walking.

The meeting last night was quite interesting. They introduced us to the idea of Transactional Analysis. This seems to be all about working out your state of mind before you make any decisions. There's the Adult influence - which is all stuff from your childhood - "eat up all your food and be good" "food equals love" etc. Then there's your inner Child who either wants approval and aquiesces to everything or attention and rebels against everything. I think I fall into the approval/aquiescence camp. Finally, there's the Adult. That's the sensible person who makes rational adult decisions. I hope to be in touch with her sometime soon! Actually I can ocasionally feel her presence, more so in the last few weeks and months, so maybe I'm finally growing up!

Another thing we have to do is write a letter to ourselves explaining why we're doing this. I'm looking forward to doing that actually. I'll post it of course. On that topic, one of the women there said that she had put stickers up round the house with goals and aims - like going to a ball and wearing x or going on holiday and wearing a bikini. That also sounded like a good idea. So I'll have a think about those aims.

I certainly have enough social occasions coming up in the next few weeks. Shelley and Martin's wedding; the weekend in London and Nicola's Rowing Club Ball; Graham and the family coming over; the weekend in Leeds. It's all a nightmare but I'm sure I'll get through it and be slim for the summer and our holiday in Canada. So, I must stay strong.

2 comments:

Tony said...

"So that's a stone and a half in 2 weeks!"

That's a really good effort. You should be proud, then quickly forget about it and set your sights on the next goal.

Basking in the glory of last week's achievement can be a distraction if you let it!

Lesley said...

I can see you're going to be hard taskmaster! I do agree, although it's also helpful to reflect on past sucesses to keep you motivated for the future.