Friday 4 May 2018

Warts 'n' all

Warts and all is what I try to do with the blog. Obviously the temptation is always to accentuate the positive but the purpose of a blog (at least for me) is to discuss everything not just the good stuff.

So, are you expecting some doom and gloom yet?? Well, you're not going to get any as it's all tickety boo today at least!!

I was working from home today so took the dogs out for an extra long lunchtime walk. I hadn't intended to go too far as it had been gloomy when we set out but, when the sun started to come out and the woods seemed to be bursting with spring, I took a longer route.

Look at that carpet of yellow celandine.



And masses of primroses.


And glorious sunshine shining through fresh green leaves




Here's the warts and all part. A section of the path skirts alongside a masssive cement works. Huge towers and conveyors throbbed and thrummed as we walked along.



But minutes later we're back in lovely woodland. The birdsong re-established itself. I saw a new bird to me (although Rich informs me that they're common and widespread). A group of 3 or 4 blackcaps. I also watched a pair of wrens bobbing in and out of a hole in a wall and 2 different Greater Spotted Woodpeckers. (Well, I suppose it could have been the same bird twice but the sightings were quite a distance apart.)





A lovely small-holding on a very quiet lane at the back of Castleton. Not a bad spot to cultivate an acre or so, a few greenhouses, a few sheep and a load of fat hens!


Views from the lane (Pindale) up towards Lose Hill.

And then over to Castleton and Mam Tor.



Once home a few more hours work and then escape onto the golf course. Hooray!! At last a sunny evening and a fun 11 hole competition with friends. Rich and I played with 2 ladies I know quite well. We were a good combination and won handily, albeit against a small field!

We had a meal afterward. I had been worried that the curry would come with all the trimmings and I would have to either fight to resist or fail to resist and have to deal with poppadum and naan flavoured guilt. Luckily no trimmings, just a light and healthy (seeming) chicken curry with plain rice - deliciously guilt free!! (Obviously the gin and small white wine can't be overlooked but, hey, it's the WEEEEEKEENDD!!!)

1 comment:

Peridot said...

What gorgeous photos (cement factory aside!).

Px