Wednesday 30 May 2018

Up and down

Typical isn't it? One day after my disappointing official weigh in showing a gain I step on the scales and see a nice, healthy drop to 16.3.4! I have seen that number a few times over the last week but have for obvious reasons not yet quite believed in it. Hopefully this time it is here to stay (and get smaller).

Stephbospoon asked in a comment why I'm embarking on this pre-wedding campaign. It seems so obvious to me but the very fact that the question was asked made it thought provoking. Always good to do a spot of navel gazing about these things.

So, why am I trying to drop weight?

Well, partly because, if I don't, I know that I will gradually gain weight and go from my recent high of 17.11 stones all the way back to 20 stone and probably beyond. Despite being better at it over the 11 years since Lighter Life, I have not cracked maintenance and dieting, sticking to a regime, is part of my ongoing learning process.

Partly/mostly because I do not like being as large as I was or even am now. I puffed and panted up hills; my back ached; my feet hurt after golf; I looked and felt older than my years and mumsy wearing size 20 (and larger) clothes; and ultimately,  I was putting my health at risk.

I want to have a long, healthy old age with Richard doing lovely, travel-y, golf-y things. We don't have children which makes staying fit all the more important.

Why am I doing it as a pre-wedding campaign? Because no other motivation has worked over the past 2 years. I tried to use our trip to Australia but that didn't work. I have tried various diets and exercise regimes and not succeeded. There is something in-built about wanting to look and feel young (ish) and beautiful on your wedding day. Clearly in my case the desire is strong enough to supply that extra motivation to start and stick to a diet.

I don't feel the need or desire to be slimmer for anyone but me. Rich proposed to me at my fattest and has never said or done anything to indicate that my weight matters, indeed the opposite, so it is certainly not for him.

Steph asked if Rich was also undergoing a pre-wedding regime. Yes, he is to an extent. He doesn't need to drop a great deal (apart from a bit of a beer belly) but he is cutting back, walking to and from work and eating my diet dishes alongside me. Already his trousers are a bit more comfortable. Ultimately though, Rich will slim down if he wants to.

So that is the story of me wanting to be  thinner and fitter and stay thinner and fitter. I hope it has a happy ending.








1 comment:

Seren said...

That’s a lovely post. I’m sure you’re going to not only be a beautiful bride but that you have a long, happy and healthy marriage to look forward to. Your enthusiasm and motivation shines out of your blog at the moment and long may it continue.

Sx