Monday 12 April 2010

Complacency

I've been here before. I've had sucess and then it has stalled. My chimp seizes on the sucess and convinces me that losing weight is easy and that I have it pegged so don't need to keep doing whatever it was I was doing to be sucessful. So, being brutally honest and using my chart for verification, I note that I'm exactly the same weight now as I was last weekend. So - no progress downwards in a whole week. Not a disaster as I have not gained anything but not the desired effect.


So, it's back to the grindstone for me. Personal training this evening and a light supper, not a big evening meal with D. I have had my usual sensible breakfast and healthy sushi lunch so hopefully this will kickstart a downward trend for the next couple of weeks. [Update - PT was soooo hard today but I feel great now and have had just a simple supper and water. I'm back baby!!]


We're off to Ireland on Wednesday for a week which is always difficult foodwise but at least affords time for exercise. I'm taking my bike and am going to exercise like a Mo-Fo and no excuses. I want to keep this good thing going.


It is harder to stick to it while D is at home though. I drank more over the weekend 'cos I was out with him. I cooked bigger meals and did less exercise. I would have played golf and gone for a bike ride but instead pottered around the house and took the dogs for walks. Well, I did manage a short gym session on Saturday morning as well. All very nice but not as hardcore. But it's hard to prioritise exercise when you also want to prioritise spending time with OH. It would help if he played golf or went mountain biking to be honest....sigh.....


In other news, my team won the Pub Quiz League Cup Final last night!! What a triumph (tee hee). It was funny and we all bounced back into the local full of ourselves with our little silver plate to go in the pub's (currently empty) trophy cabinet - In Your Faces Darts and Dominos!! And I won March's rowing challenge at the gym. That's 2 on the bounce. I'm not looking forward to this month though - 10,000m!! That'll take ages - 45 to 50 minutes at a guess. Yuck.


Also, some of you might remember that I'm part of a small group of women from the village who have raised a load of money and got a grant from the Lottery to refurbish our local play area. It's been going on for a couple of years but it is FINALLY finished and open. We raised £75,000 in total and the contractors installed the equipment before Christmas but were so incoompetent (and thwarted by the bad weather too to be fair) that they've only just put everything right and got the safety certificate through last week.

From this:






To this!:



It was fantastic to see it swarming with kids over the weekend - just in time for the nice weather. We're having our grand launch event on Sunday 25th April and then it's over, or, more probably knowing this village, on to the next project.....


It has been satisfying to see what 5 ordinary women can achieve from nothing. Just sitting down together in the pub a couple of times a month, sharing out the tasks and working our way methodically through what needs to be done. Asking for help where needed (that's how I got involved - legal assistance in filling in grant application forms etc and setting up a blog etc) and just plowing through. No egos, no arguments, no big committee mentality, no blokes. It's been great. That's not to say that we haven't had male assistance from time to time - working on the play area to keep it open in the meantime, helping us with stands for various fundraising events, running a barbeque at the carnival, a local architect helped us out at the end in fighting with the recalcitrant contractor but our little group has been at the core and I'm proud of us.

No comments: