Friday 29 June 2018

Talking and running

I had a meeting yesterday at work with a colleague, Lucy. After we finished our work chat we settled in for a catch up (well, it was the end of the day 😉😉). Lucy dropped about 4 stone following Slimming World 2016/17 and then maintained, seemingly effortlessly, until last Christmas. Since then she has struggled and has "found" around a stone.

We discussed where we both are now and found our similarities to be many. Our respective positions are reversed but we both know they can swap and swap again.  Lucy was feeling a bit bleak. She was recognising that reality that she will never be able to eat in the way she wants to eat.

It is a perennial problem of dieting - success brings a reward of being able to eat smaller portions, fewer treats and not let up for the rest of your life!!

I tried to lift her by pointing out that she had been very happy while dropping weight as I am at the moment. It is only crooked thinking that leads you to believe that you NEED to eat and drink loads in order to be happy. You can still have nice stuff just not as much and not as often and you will probably enjoy it more when it is a treat anyway.

So, we each encouraged the other. Lucy by admiring my progress and reminding me how easy it is to let a good thing slide and me by persuading her to get her food diary out and try to get going again.

I had mentioned that I was intending to go for a run this morning. To be honest when I woke up I didn't really feel like it. Rich was late up having drunk more than he expected last night and the temptation was to sleep a bit later and skip the run. But I remembered my (slightly smug with hindsight) words to Lucy yesterday about how I'd really enjoyed my recent runs etc etc.

I shamed myself into getting up and dressed into running gear. Rich then had an attack of conscience too and asked if I could drop him off at work for 7.30. I decided to combine the 2 - drop him off in Hope and take the dogs for a cool morning run around a field and lane loop near Hope.

Shelagh is usually quite grumpy about running, in fact I've just about given up taking her, but this morning she was like a puppy, galloping around like a mad thing. I think it was the cool, sunny morning and the unfamiliar surroundings. Whatever caused it I loved seeing my old lady on top, happy, smiley form.

The icing on the cake was stopping off at the river for a proper swim. The stream in Bradwell is pretty low now so only suitable for paddling but here Shelagh could wade out for a proper swim which she loves.

I hate myself for saying this but we NEED rain. The fields are dry and brown.








My smile is a little broader as a result of the news from the scale - 15.11 - I hit the 2 stone off mark this morning. WoooHoooo!!

1 comment:

Peridot said...

2 stone! You should be chortling like a loon! 👏🏻👏🏻

Could you please not invoke rain. Or just at night. I’ve not had a chance to really enjoy the summer yet.

Px