Tuesday 26 June 2012

Golfing issues

Some golfing pics from a couple of our rounds in Wales.  This was St Davids which was a stunning course.  Well, the course itself wasn't gorgeous being sort of featureless but the views FROM the course were gorgeous. 







And this was Newport Links which was a truly stunning course with views of the beach and hills beyond.  The Brains bitter beforehand was pretty good too....whistles....



So, I mentioned that I played golf today.  It was first for me - a Scratch match!  For non-golfers, this means a match against another club where it is assumed that you all play off a zero handicap so there are no shots given to the weaker player.  As I actually play off an 18 handicap, this could mean that I have to give a huge advantage to the other side so the whole concept was a little scary. 

Anyway, we were short of a team and a work meeting had just been cancelled so I agreed to play and today was the day.  It was good fun.  I went out last so was in the weakest pairing and, despite my fears about Scratch, we were pretty evenly matched.  After a ding dong battle I eventually won my match on the 18th hole which meant that the team won the game overall too.  Pat me on the back!

What I hadn't appreciated was how much faffing around there is in these matches.  We arrived at 10am and had tea and sandwiches, then played, then changed and had a meal and finally finished at 5.30pm.  For me that means a full day's leave just to play golf.  Which explains why I have only played in one match before (an A team match when you play off your official handicap).

It also explains why I didn't make it to my weigh-in.  I didn't know how long it was going to go on for or, crucially, that we would have a 3 course meal afterwards!  I could just about have made it to WI but didn't fancy it with soup, salmon salad and strawberries along with a glass of wine and 2 coffees sloshing around in my tummy!  Also, I would have been going to the later WI so would have missed Zumba.

I concluded that I'd rather Zumba and burn off supper than weigh it and get all depressed!

For the record, my home scales were showing a STS or possibly a small gain this morning so the weekend and the lurgy haven't been toooo cruel considering.

Update - lest anyone think I gibbed out of WI, Zumba was HARD!  I have worked my little socks off and feel happily and sweatily virtuous.  Hopefully I can make this a new Tuesday routine (without the golf match).  Work, WI, home to change and straight to Zumba.

2 comments:

Seren said...

Ooooh, well done you for winning your match! My experience and knowledge of golf is, I'm afraid, limited to childhood trips to the pitch and put (and I was rubbish at even that) but I am full of admiration for those people who can actually play. It seems such a civilised sport somehow!

And I think your choice re WI was the right one. You know roughly where you are via the home scales and you've had a fab workout. Win, win.

Hope you're thoroughly de-lurgied and looking forward to the week ahead.

Sx

Peridot said...

I think you made the right call - zumba was going to do you more of a favour than a WI.

And well done on the golf!

Px