Monday 24 January 2011

Consequences and Folderol

Oh dear, we could have a problem - Shelagh has decided that today she likes both toy AND socks.... what will poor Minty do?
But Muuuuum, it s'not fair.....

Tough.

Peridot mentioned the difficulty of finding a balance between enjoying life and losing weight. I have been able to find the balance between enjoying life (to the full) and not gaining weight but translating this into actually losing is proving somewhat harder.

In the 3 weeks since I started my January push I have lost and re-gained the same 2 or 3 lbs a couple of times but, ultimately, my chart tells me unequivocably that I have neither lost nor gained anything. I weighed this morning exactly (to the decimal point) the same as I weighed 3 weeks ago.

Heyho - if this was a football match and we were drawing after a torrid first half I would be philosophical about it - we went ahead, lost our lead, went behind, equalised...oh well, it's all still to play for.

That is where I am now. No harm has been done. I have re-introduced regular exercise into my routine and learned about a few pitfalls to avoid and it's all still to play for.

I like that way of looking at it. But I can't allow complacency to set in. Although nothing (bar 3 weeks) has been lost, I really want to see progress towards my goals in the next few weeks. Especially as there is a real point to these goals - I will be hauling my body (whatever it weighs) up the 3 highests mountains of Scotland, England and Wales respectively in the space of 24 hours in July. I would rather that this hauling experience is a pleasant one....really.

I didn't go swimming this lunchtime. I was going to but really had to go shopping for Rich's birthday present. I couldn't see when else I might go as I'm away with my old schoolfriends, Jenny, Kirsten and Stephanie this coming weekend and will be with Rich for the following one. Also, there are still some sales left on at Meadowhall..... I was sucessful too so don't feel remotely guilty. It's nice when a plan comes together. I had something in mind and, not only could I get it, it was the right colour and the right size and it had been reduced in price twice....the Gods of Shopping NEVER work that felicitously in MY favour....

On a different note, I went to see "The King's Speech" last week with another schoolfriend, Louise, who only lives a couple of miles away from me now. Despite this, we hardly ever get together. She has kids and we have different social circles and busy lives. This is a shame as we get on well when we do make the effort. Anyway, we made it to the film and were calculating the last time we had a similar outing just the 2 of us (we have met at a few parties and 'do's and in passing). We worked out that it was to see "The Young Victoria"! So, we only get together to go and see films about the royal family apparently...although we missed Helen Mirren in "The Queen"!!

Anyway, partly because "The King's Speech" was so good and enjoyable (go and see it if you haven't!!) and partly because we feel guilty about not putting any effort into our friendship no doubt, Louise has suggested that we go and see "Black Swan". Hmmmmm. I heard Mark Kermode's review of this on 5 Live last Friday and he raved about it. This usually means that I will hate it with a passion. He mentioned that it is "as good as" "Mullholland Drive"!! That was a truly terrible film in my not very humble opinion. But, I don't want to turn her down as I would like to get into a semi-regular routine and keep up with a bit'o'culture like....

So, I mulled it over and decided that I would open my mind, swallow, grin, bear it and think of England....and, erm, go and see the film. Wish me luck! Has anyone else seen it yet?

2 comments:

Seren said...

Balance...so difficult, isn't it? I'm fine when I'm in my little routine, but any sort of deviation (for which read having a life outside of work) seems to throw me for a loop.

Not seen "Black Swan" yet and you probably wouldn't welcome my opinion anyway cos I like "Mulholland Drive"... :) But good luck!

Sx

Peridot said...

Can't say I fancy it really - descent into madness and lesbian episode seem to be all people mention. I am decidedly un-highbrow though. But I'd like to see the King's Speech.

Px