Saturday 2 January 2010

New Year Review - well, if Piers Morgan gets a whole show, then I deserve at least a blog!!

I stole this quiz from Shauna on What's New Pussycat but thought it might make me think a bit. I've recovered from my hangover of yesterday but still feeling a bit sluggish so I'm unlikely to be able to make myself think without prompts!

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I appeared on reality TV - My Big Fat Cycle Challenge on Sky Real Lives and Sky One. It was fun but nice now that it's over.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
The only resolution I made was to weigh less at the end of the year than I did at the beginning. I managed it too. Not by a huge amount but I am over a stone lighter now than I was last New Year. That is pretty much a triumph for me, especially as I wasn't "dieting" per se, just learning to live normally.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Some new friends of ours in the village had a baby around 3 months ago, little Fallon Rose. They are really active and fearless in their parenting too - taking her out walking up in the hills and to the pub etc - not wrapping her up in cotton wool.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No-one close. In fact I can't even think of anyone I know who died. There must have been. Oh yes, a nice gent from the pub, Humphrey, died in spring. He was far too young to go - only in his 60's - and another character gone from this world. I miss his drinking from a dimpled handle pint pot; his large collection of hats; his love of all sorts of music and his forays into political incorrectness.

Oh, I've just thought of another - Diarmuid's oldest friend's father in Ireland. Another sudden and untimely death back in March. An amazing funeral though.

5. What countries did you visit?
Ireland twice. Once for Kevin's father's funeral and once for a holiday in May. We weren't blessed with good weather but it was lovely nonetheless.

And Botswana in September. We loved it and will be back, hopefully many times.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More discipline at work and in respect of home chores. I am a champion procrastinator and I'm going to work on that flaw this year. There are so many things I could achieve if I put my mind to them. The first step in doing that is to really think about my aims and set out some actions to achieve them. If you can't say what you want, how can you get it???

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There are a few. August 19th. An away trip to Newcastle. A fun day out to the football. No reason in particular, just nice to do something I really enjoy and to see a new place.

November 7. My 40th birthday party. Although Diarmuid couldn't make it, it was a great party. so many people turned up and I had a brilliant time.

November 19th . My actual birthday. Spent in the company of my old school friends Jenny, Kirsten and Stephanie. A great night and wonderful to still be close to such lovely women.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Hmmm, not sure about this. The first one which comes to mind is weighing less at the end of this year than I did at the beginning. But the less obvious one is the mindshift which I seem to have achieved through the TV programme. The shift from feeling guilty about my failings to seeing them as challenges to be worked on and corrected. The losing of the words "ought" and "should" from my mental vocabulary. Long may it last.

9. What was your biggest failure?
It's weird but just thinking about this question has made me a bit sadder. I don't think I really had a failure this year. Of course there have been times when I should have done something and didn't, or did something I shouldn't have done. But these were part of life and the learning process. As to proper failures, I suspect these are the things you don't even try. The things you avoid. So, my failure of 2009 was probably not trying to really address my habit of procrastination in any systematic way. It really bugs me that I'm not more effective and self-disciplined. That is what I'm going to work on this year (while not giving up on the food and exercise side of things of course!).

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thankfully. Well, I developed a mild case of plantar fascitis which is a pain as it stops me running. And I broke a crown off in December which will probably reuqire require expensive and extensive dental work which I hate. Both of these things are nothing though so I count my blessings to be happy and healthy.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I'm not one for shopping or acquiring stuff so I suppose the best thing I purchased was our holiday to Botswana. Magic!

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mostly on that holiday to Botswana, but worth every penny.

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I suppose the filming of a reality TV show was pretty exciting at times and seeing my trailer on the box, not mention the show itself. But, really, I got more excited by our holiday in Botswana, the animals and birds, the travelling around and the sights and sounds. And then there was my extended 40th birthday celebrations. I felt like a proper celebrity for the month of November!

14. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I'm rubbish about music and can't think of a single tune which reminds me of this year! Will dig out the old ipod and try and get a bit more up to date in 2010!

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Definitely happier. I feel liberated compared to how I've felt for, well, the rest of my life! Brilliant.

b) thinner or fatter?
Marginally thinner. Last year I was a 16/18 and this year I'm a 14/16. Maybe next year I'll be a 12/14 which would be perfect!!


c) richer or poorer?
We're a little bit richer. Interest rates have come down in our favour and a nice tax rebate and annual bonus have made things bit more comfortable. Of course this year might be tougher as there are rumours of redundancies at the Council but at least we're in good shape.


16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
It may sound boring, but I wish I'd done more home admin and organisation. I want to get to grips with finances and systems as I feel that we could be a lot more effective.


17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I rowed with D less often. Not that it's really within my control but it's very debilitating. It's been less frequent in the second half of the year so I hope that continues.


18.What did you do for Christmas?
I went to Lincoln to my parent's. Christmas was spent with my sister, her husband and 4 kids, one of their boyfriends and 2 dogs. Also my parents and my sister in law and her 2 children. It was a busy, hectic but lovely time.


19. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No, D and I have been a lot nicer to each other this year and I feel more loving toward him but no falling in love....thankfully!!!


20. What was your favorite TV program?
I discovered (about 10 years later than the rest of the world) the gentle delights of Midsomers Murders!! Sky Plus has enabled me to feed this habit. Yikes!

Oh and 2 nature series - both David Attenborough - Nature's Great Events and Life. Both in incomparable HD and beautiful. They make you feel small and awed.


21. What was the best book you read?
The Street Philosopher.


22. What was your favorite film of this year?
Didn't go to a single film all year. Caught In Bruge and loved it.


23. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I went to my old school friend's house and spent the evening with 2 other friends from school. It was a lovely night, much chatting, dancing and merriment. I was 40!!


24. What kept you sane?
Walking the dogs and taking photos of the gorgeous countryside round here.


25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I, like many women before me, have developed a crush on David Boreanas from Bones. Sad but true.


26. Who did you miss?
I always miss my pals but this year has been a good year for making contact with old friends and meeting new ones so fewer to miss.


27. Who was the best new person you met?
I met (in the real world) some lovely blog pals this year so salut - Peridot and Beth!!

1 comment:

Peridot said...

Awww, here I was reading and enjoying this post - and then I get a lovely mention in the last bit. A cherry on the cake (although I don't like cherries and do like cake ...... but you know what I mean!)

Happy New Year - hope 2010 is an even better year for you.

love
Peridot x