Monday 30 November 2009

What happened??




Over the last few weeks I've been a bit subdue: staying in more, lacking in energy, my eating hasn't been great and my exercise has been lacklustre. I've stuck with it but really only doing the minimum required rather than pushing myslef and I haven't enjoyed it. So yesterday, I had a bit of an epiphany and now I feel like a different person!!

What am I? Split personality or what? No problem sticking to a modect healthy breakfast. No complaints from my chimp about going swimming at lunchtime. Walked into town first to buy my lunch and picked up my formerly "usual" lunch which has of late been supplemented with fruit and energy bars etc. Again, no complaints from old Chimpetta. And then straight off to the pool with a spring in my step. Bizarre.



And swimming was a joy. Usually on a Monday it's a bit of a nightmare - too many people in the fast lane who don't actually swim fast and to make matters worse don't let me on at the turns etc etc But today, hardly anyone there, a lovely empty lane and I felt silky smooth and strong. So much so that I increased my usual top limit from 52 to 56 lengths!



And I sprinted for 4 laps at the end - really pushed it as though I was in a race! I felt a little silly arriving at the end of each length puffing and kicking for no apparent reason but it's very liberating. It reminded me of being on the track at the velodrome. Then we had to really push ourselves to the point of exhaustion and had a team of trainers exhorting us on. I used to enjoy it in a perverse kind of way and reflected that it's rare for grown up women to push themselves to that stage. I couldn't run far or fast enough to generate that sensation due to my weight and foot injury but swimming is very forgiving - as long as you have sufficient technique to go fast you can do it.


I felt young and powerful which is good way to feel on a cold Monday afternoon. Long may this positive phase continue.

3 comments:

Milly said...

I am pleased to hear you have got going again, I think it happens to all of us, I even stop drinking water which I normally love. What separates those who succeed from those who don't is the ability to get back up, dust ourselves down & get on with it again. I do alot of dusting! Keep up the good work.
P.S. that is a fab picture of your dogs!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

The same "new" Lesley is shining through. Beautiful pics. Perhaps sometime you can elaborate on chimp/chimpetta? (I get the obvious implication, but have never thought of my food problem in that way. Maybe that's who's eating all the food!) :)

Claire said...

Sounds fantastic. Mucho mojo!