Sunday 10 November 2019

Doomism

I read today that there is a new tactic by climate change deniers.  Now that they can no longer realistically deny that climate change is happening and is caused by our actions, they are saying, 'well, it's too late to do anything about it' in order to encourage apathy and atrophy and thus continue their profitable pollution of the planet etc. Charming.

Well, I'm not posting about this particular atrocity but about how the phrase itself has some resonance with me.  I think my chimp is encouraging doomist thoughts about my weight:

"You have had ages to do something about this but it's just got worse, now it's too late, you may as well buy some bigger shorts (having given 2 perfectly good pairs to charity this spring on the basis that I was never going to be that size again!!), enjoy winter and Christmas eating and think about dieting again in January."

Does that sound familiar?? Well, it's bloody annoying.  Firstly that I am in this position and secondly that I finding it so hard to get off my big bottom and do something about it.

We are heading off to South Africa in 5 weeks time and, unless I do something urgently, I will going there the same size as I went to Australia 2 years ago which was pretty damn fat!  I had a wonderful time but it was uncomfortable at times in the heat and some of the photos have made me cringe.

So - I can drop at least half a stone, even 10lbs in 5 weeks if I really focus and 5 weeks is NOTHING.  10 lbs would make my existing shorts work and make me much fitter and more comfortable.  I would not be slim but I would look and feel demonstrably better and it will be a lot easier starting the inevitable January crusade without those 10lbs!  That is worth doing, surely.

So, starting tomorrow morning, I am going to be calorie counting, exercising every day, using my chart and blogging.  Let's see what I can achieve in 5 weeks?! (Tonight I'm tucking into roast chicken!!)

In the meantime, here are some lovely autumnal pics from round the village this afternoon.










No comments: