Sunday 12 May 2013

A Bank Holiday walk Part 1

 Right, now the weather has reverted back to winter/spring, here's some pics from the unseasonally lovely Bank Holiday weekend.  Perhaps the only summer we'll see this year??  Hope not.

We walked over the hill from Bradwell to Shatton and then up Win Hill.  It was coolish and cloudy when we set off but got gradually warmer.  Here are some happy looking lambs chilling.  I love watching the lambs in the fields, they're such little characters and so perfectly formed like any baby creatures but also so accessible.


It got warm quickly and there wasn't a lot of water around on the first half of our walk so a muddy ditch had to suffice for drinking and tummy cooling purposes.  Rich and I managed to restrain ourselves however.


Spring flowers on a sunny bank in a pretty sunken lane.  Lift the spirits don't they?


And lush hinge and bracket fungi.  I've no idea if it's edible but wouldn't want to try anyway. it looked too happy on its tree.


A buzzard wheeling overhead.


The village of Bamford nestling into the hillside.


The dogs were adamant that we should turn left to go down to the river for a swim and a swallow chase (if they were lucky).  We wouldn't and they weren't impressed!


Bamford Edge looms at us from the other side of the valley.


The light was sparkling and the greens were spring fresh and glittering in the sunshine.  Heaven.


We had to head up hill though - we're going right to the top. I can't remember why he was flicking the V's at me.....



We're about halfway up here and you can see Bamford way behind me.



We had a busy Bank Holiday weekend.  Golf at Woodhall Spa on the Friday; the last match of the season back in Sheffield on Saturday (a day which involved several celebratory beers and a curry); a golf match on the Sunday and a good long walk on the Monday.  It all sounds very active and you might think it would have helped me drop a lb or so.

But there was a clue buried in the middle there as to why it did not!  The day out on the beers on Saturday to watch Sheffield Wednesday save themselves from a remote chance  of relegation followed by one of the most delicious curries I've ever had certainly scuppered any weight loss chances I might have had.  That said, there have been no gains......yet!

What a day Saturday was.  To be fair, a LOT would have had to go wrong for us to have been relegated but it was possible so obviously we were not totally relaxed.  Luckily our team finally put us out of our misery and scored an early goal and then another before half time to make sure we were never in danger. Then we could sit back and enjoy the ride and look forward to some beers, music and a nice afternoon/evening out with pals.  We went to the restaurant we tried for my birthday last November and it was even better than I remembered.  I chose a fish dish called Meeth Bangla which was heaven on a plate - rich salmon and aubergine in a spicy sauce.  Beautifully done.   

Tomorrow is my next official WI so I'll call in then with a proper update.

I'm playing lots of golf and doing lots of hilly walking but being a tad lazy on the aerobic exercise and haven't been training for a couple of weeks so that is going to change next week.  I finally (after nearly 2 months) feel ALMOST fully better from my Easter flu!  Tomorrow I'm working from home and I'm going to go to the outdoor swimming pool in Hathersage for a thrash up and down the pool.  That'll be a decent change from trying to make myself go running or to training!!  I'll post pictures if...WHEN....I make it to the pool!!

Right - Sunday dinner is cooking so I had better get on it.

2 comments:

Linz M said...

You make me feel exhausted just reading your posts! I really need to up my exercise again, I'm still struggling after various illnesses which I fear I am using as an excuse now :)

Good luck with weigh in x

Peridot said...

Nice looking collar bone, lady..

Px