Sunday 26 August 2018

The things we do!

First up, tapas news. It was delicious and a really fun evening. In good news, I didn't drink beer and only 1 glass of wine and a few G&Ts. I didn't go mad on the food front but I can't say I was abstemious either. We managed to get home for midnight as we were golfing at 7.35 the following morning and my hangover was not too bad.

The scales were not kind however. They bobbed up to 15.13.8! Gulp.

Saturday was busy busy busy. Golf mega early. None of us played well but it was a fun comp and good company. It was a beautiful sunny morning too although a little chilly.





Straight after golf we dashed into town for the footie. We were playing bottom of the table Ipswich and managed a reasonably competent 2-1 victory. Woo hoo!! We have seen a lot of dross this season so far and missed our first win last Wednesday evening as were golfing (natch) so it was great to see 3 points in the bag.

We were meant to be going out on Saturday night as well but were just too sleepy so stayed in and had steak and chips (mine were semi- virtuous sweet potato oven chips obviously).

The scales did not fall for it despite all the walking and added another 0.4 to the tally. Sigh...

Today has been hectic too but for a totally different reasons.

We had booked a round of golf with my teammate Lindsay at a course near Tadcaster in North Yorkshire. It is the venue for our team's big semi-final in a fortnight's time. We really needed a practise round and today was the only day we could do.

Imagine then how happy we were to see the weather forecast of non-stop steady rain from 10 til 5pm. We were teeing off at 12.30! The forecast was accurate.

It chucked it down. I'm quite sure that if we had not arranged to take Lindsay we would have cancelled. Both Rich and I and Lindsay all separately contemplated texting but in the end, we're all gritty northerners and we stuck to our guns.

And more fool us. It was full on wet and miserable for the first 4 or 5 holes and then the wind picked up to join the party. I was honestly questioning my sanity as we slogged along in the pouring rain with slippy clubs and cold, soaking hands. Then I felt the first trickle of water slide down the back of my so-called waterproof trousers and into my knickers. Yay!

Actually it wasn't too bad, the course was flat and my waterproof gear mostly worked and the rain gradually lightened from the 14th or so. We made it through and it was very helpful to have seen and played the course and know what to expect on the big day. The back nine in particular was criss-crossed by a couple of giant ditches so now we know when to lay up etc.



In case you're wondering about my strange head gear, my waterproof hat is slightly too large and was being blown off by the breeze so I had to anchor it in place with my sun visor! I will need to buy a decent hat before the semi-final!!

One good thing about having dropped 2 stone is that I now fit into this decent waterproof jacket. My bigger jacket was cheap and nasty and not in the least waterproof but was the only one I could find which fitted. There is very poor choice of ladies' golf gear in larger sizes. Another 10lbs or so and I should fit into a nice set of (purple) Ping waterproofs I have sitting in the wardrobe....



After changing into dry clothes and having a quick coffee to warm up in a totally deserted clubhouse we drove back home.  We had to dry everything out for golf tomorrow so the house is now festooned with drying golf paraphernalia. Rich took the girls out for another wet walk and I cooked a hearty supper of meatballs and spaghetti.

Tomorrow is yet more golf and dog walking but this time it is a genteel afternoon of mixed golf. I think the weather is going to be better.....pleeeeaase!!

I hope your bank holiday weekends have been fun even if not dry.

2 comments:

Peridot said...

It’s absolutely so you that you’re in the middle of cold, wet weather and still beaming! You are a ray of sunshine.

Meatballs and spaghetti is one of my favourite comfort foods.

Px

Pam said...

I think you're doing amazingly. Two stone!