Saturday 12 December 2015

I am not a number!

I feel as though my tribe (women over 45 who are overweight or obese - of which we are legion, apparently) is somewhat beleaguered at the moment.  You can't open a newspaper, surf or listen to the TV or radio without being berated for being fat and exhorted to exercise.

This is painful as I KNOW I'm fat and I'd LOVE to be exercising but, just at the moment, there's not much I can do about it!

So, I'm shutting my brain off to public opprobrium and continuing to "do my best" until I'm mobile and ready for action again.

I'm confident that I have stopped the rot and will be able to end the year at the same weight as I started it so at least I'm not going backwards.  2016 will be my year!!

In other news, the weather is foul, cold and rainy so today we will mostly be indoors.  My brother and his family are visiting later (possibly with an American woman who is on his bakery course and needs some company at the weekends).

We had already arranged an expedition with friends to a local pub of character out in the middle of nowhere.  This pub (the Three Stags at Wardlow Mires) is famed for its crotchety landlord (pushing 80 now); multitude of lurcher type dogs; and limited choice of drinks.  The landlord only serves drinks he approves of, so no lager unless it is bottled by monks in Belgium etc etc.  If you ask for a shandy it is bitter and ginger beer out of a 2 litre plastic bottle!

I have expanded the taxi to a minibus to cope with our multicultural crew and hope it will be a successful expedition.  I suspect the American lady may have a good story to tell about the wilds of Derbyshire when she gets home!

I had better go now as I have a house to ready for visitors and much to do.  This will help my fat ass if nothing else!

3 comments:

Pam said...

That sounds like fun. And you're not fat!

Seren said...

Happy Christmas! Hope you're well on the way to recovery and join you in looking forward to a wonderful 2016. xxxxxxxx

gaelen said...

Have you thought of following a lower carbohydrate diet and eating all, in an 8 hour window. I follow this 16:8 restricted eating pattern and it is very easy and adapts to your life. I start eating at 12 when I break fast with lunch and then I fit all my eating into 8 hours, so I stop at 8pm.

If I am going out with friends I alter the window or dispense with it all together. You can have other windows. Some people eat at 11am and finish at 7pm. It sound hard, but it isn't. In the morning it is so easy going to work without having to make breakfast. I am not hungry in the morning.

The reason it works is because it lowers your insulin levels so that your appetite reduces and you naturally eat less. This is a natural painless way to lose weight. If you slip up you just get back on the wagon the next day. It has other health benefits as the 16 hour fast resets the body clock and allows repair of the body. It has the potential to reduce the risk of dementia when you are older.