Sunday 14 September 2008

Good long run...

A grey start but the geese were enjoying the view.

Shame they're not edible.


I always admire this garden and the setting is gorgeous.


Terrible photo of me - you really can't rely on passers-by these days! Still, it's proof that I was running and a view of the water spilling over the Derwent Dam which is not surprising after all the rain we've had!


The sun peeked through at the end


Shelagh loved her swim but Minty wouldn't dip a toe in!

I'm pleased to report that I managed to get out for a really good long run yesterday morning. I bottled it on a rainy Friday evening saying "I'll definitely go out for a proper run tomorrow"! In the past I might not have done so on Saturday but this weekend I did. I get dressed straight into my running gear when I got up and checked a few blogs which gave me some inspiration (particularly Shelley from Running My Life - thanks Shell).



I think one of the problems I've had recently is slight boredom with my running routes so I decided to to go somewhere totally different. I drove up to the Ladybower Dam (only a few miles from home) and then ran round the lower section. It' s about 6 or 7 miles or so and I took it nice and steadily. Stopped to take the odd photo, let the dogs say hi to other dogs, and have a swim and just generally didn't push myself too much to make sure that I enjoyed it.



And I did! Now I want to go out running again soon so I think my less pressured approach will pay off. A few months ago I was in serious training and had to pound out the miles; now I'm just running for fun and exercise and to help keep my weight under control. That's not to say that I won't take on another challenge some time in the future but for now I just need to get back to the place where regular exercise is a natural part of my life.



I never let it go completely, always did my personal training and the dogs walks and the odd run but it was definitely fading and now it's coming back in. Phew!



Anyway, I hope you're all having a good weekend and I'll catch up with you all soon.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Awww! I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy yourself! I always feel like I need a race or some challenge to get my rear in gear. It is nice that you can do it just to enjoy yourself...what beautiful scenery you have too!