Tuesday 11 January 2022

Missing something

 Life continues pretty happily.  Working from home, walking the dog, seeing friends and family, football, golf (when weather permits) and even panto has restarted.  So, I have no complaints but I do feel that I'm losing sight of my health and fitness goals.  In that sphere I am most definitely drifting.

My weight has been broadly stable (hovering within 5 or 6 lbs either way) since December 2019 but sadly it has been stable at a rather high number. 18 stone!! On the plus side, that means I now know how to live without the uncontrolled ups and downs which have plagued my entire life.  On the minus side I'm fat and over 50.  Booo!

So, am I willing to get serious about dieting and exercising again??  Part of me thinks not as it risks tipping me back into the boom and bust cycle.  But the other part of me is not ready to give up just yet.  While I'm never again going to go for rapid drops and extreme aims, I do think I need to get smaller and lighter. If only for my future health.  I have some arthritis in my right foot and, after a fall last summer, some achy bits in my left leg.  If I was lighter and fitter these niggles wouldn't affect me as much.  I've also noticed that I walk quite slowly these days and don't want to turn into an old lady without fighting back!

So,what is the plan of attack?? Well, what has worked most recently?  

I did try a 12 week course using an online tool called Second Nature early last year.  I did quite well for a few weeks and dropped 9 or 10lbs but then I was totally derailed by a week's holiday.  I was disappointed to note that there was no proactive nudge back on track by the group or facilitator.  They were happy to cheer you when you were doing well but, the minute you dropped by the wayside, they were nowhere to be seen.  That irritated me.

Previous to that I followed a sort of hybrid - calorie counting using my Fitbit, writing down everything I eat and exercising using my Fitbit and dropped 1.5 stone before our wedding in 2019.  (Some might may remember my dress angst when I got stuck and just couldn't drop that last half a stone to make my dress fit!!)

So - I'm going to go with the second option.  The exercise has to be ramped up too.  You know me, I never don't exercise but I have got a little slack on the sweaty, tire you out sort of stuff.  I walk the dog every day (quick dash in the morning and then an hour or so at lunchtime) and I swim 2 or 3 times a week and do personal training once a week.  I think that, provided I stick to that, I should be good.  However, I could add some stiffer hills on the dog walks and (maybe) some slow running once I drop a few lbs. 

The key is not really what I do but more making sure that I do something and stick to it.

And of course, checking in here to keep me at it.

I can never sign off without some photos.  I'm not sure if I've blogged about it but I have been doing a bit of wild swimming in local reservoirs or ponds for the last couple of years.  All year round in cossies, sand shoes, gloves and a hat.  Freezing in winter of course but always brilliant.  I've even swum with Gary too which is magical - there is something really special about swimming with your dawg!!  These are a few from our last outing on the Winter Solstice.  







No comments: