Tuesday 23 October 2018

Disappointing weigh in but not giving up

On the plus side, I have stuck to writing down all week and not had any major blowouts. On the minus, I have clearly not done enough as I weighed 16.1.8 this morning which is 0.5lb ON! Grrr

I suspect this is due to a 3-way combo of TOTM, too many carbs (see previous) and not doing any sweaty exercise due to effects of the tail end of my cough/cold.

While I ate in a reasonably restrained manner, our meals were a bit carb heavy which you just can't get away with unless you are burning more calories through proper exercise.

I'm feeling much better this week so that is going to change! No excuses.

In other news I was in Sheffield for a course yesterday morning (womanfully resisting a basket of croissants and pains au chocolats for several hours). It was quite a tough course made tougher by the fact that we were a satellite office being beamed the presentation from Nottingham so we had to concentrate extra hard to hear what was going on.

I emerged at 2pm feeling as though I had done a full day's work to see Sheffield city centre basking in sunshine. Most uplifting.

The beautiful Peace Gardens behind the Town Hall. Sooo much nicer now that the awful yellow 1960s "Eggbox" office building has been demolished!






The Town Hall (although Sheffield is, of course, a City but City Hall, confusingly is a concert venue just round the corner!).


The Women of Steel statue belatedly honouring the women who kept the steelworks going during the wars which is very modest but pleasing; just outside City Hall.


 Today I have train woes.  I got on the wrong train at Sheffield this morning and, instead of heading to Rotherham on the York train found myself heading towards Lincoln. I got off at Woodhouse near the old Orgreave Colliery and took a taxi to work. Sigh. In my defence, the Lincoln train pulled up on the York train platform, at the right time and the board was still showing York. Silly me!

My train back this evening from Rotherham was delayed and me and 2 lovely older gentlemen missed our commection by a whisker. Our train which had left bang on time then pulled up 50 metres down the track and sat there for at least 5 minutes. Double sigh.

Ah well, the hour on Sheffield station has allowed me to tap out this post!

I was amused to discover that the 2 older chaps had spent a happy day riding the rails for a tenner - some ranger ticket or something. From Chinley to Sheffield, Huddersfield, York, Bridlington and back. Mentalists.

At lunchtime I walked up to Rotherham Market to view the poppy display. Over 18,000 hand made poppies from all over. Quite charming.




No comments: