Friday 29 March 2019

Aubade

Wow!! Being wide awake at 4am really does take one to some strange places. I was just lying in the dark watching the morning light curl round the edge of the curtains. It reminded me of  Phillip Larkin's poem "Aubade". So I looked it up and reread it after many years.

What a piece of writing that is.  I don't think my early morning angst was about my inevitable demise but perhaps there is an element of that lurking!!

I'm in awe of someone who can hone in on such a powerful fear and experience in us all and root it so firmly in our shared mundanity.


5 comments:

Seren said...

I love Larkin. “An Arundel Tomb” still makes me cry every time I read it. I thought about having it as a wedding poem just for that last line! Popping off to read “Aubade” now... x

Pam said...

Ah, we'll all be thin when we're skeletons... But not for a long time for you! You're right - it's just a dress. One day. I'm so glad that you're loved.

Pam said...

Well, yes, but you're not going to die for a long time (unlike me) so how are the wedding preparations going?

Hazel said...

I'm guessing that wedding day is coming up (this weekend?) - so congratulations, and please post lots of piccies!

murgatroidgerow said...

So.......what's up? Are you married? Are there wedding photos? How are the pups? Are you swimming at the community center this summer? How's your dad? Don't leave us hanging! Miss you!